Clock body

I've been looking for the past several weeks for a suitable clock body to install the whereabouts clock. I tried calling around to a few clock shops to see if they had any busted clocks with intact frames, but I didn't have any luck with that. Seems that most people have busted clock mechanisms in pretty frames that they want to be fixed. I pretty much left my search up to Craigslist after that.
I found a guy in Austin selling a broken wall clock that I thought would work. $50 later and I have a clock that is too shallow for my parts. It's a beautiful clock, so for a few more bucks at Hobby Lobby I replaced the movement. Of course, after doing that the old movement works again. Oh well.
I kept looking through old posts and found someone selling a "Baby Grandfather Clock." Its design is more like a mantle clock, but it was really about the size I was looking for. However, it too was too shallow. If I left it as a tabletop clock (as it could be) the depth wouldn't be a problem, but servos would be hanging out of the back. The couple selling the clock told me that they did have a broken grandfather clock also, so I asked to check it out. The clock was a mess. The movement was missing a bunch of pieces, but that was no problem. The glass in the front was completely missing, and the wood needed some TLC. A few wood pieces broke off getting it loaded in the van, but for $60 I think it'll clean up ok.
I started to take it apart last night to get it ready for stripping and restaining. Here's a pic of the top piece with the movement and door removed:
There's also a little label on the back, but I can't make out much of it. It'll probably get removed and tossed. I hate losing any history from what could be a great piece, but this old clock has definitely seen better days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

V-22 Osprey Project - Tuning and Setup

V-22 Osprey Project - Design Changes for v3

V-22 Osprey Project - Flight Control