Friday, September 23, 2011

A non-clock post

I figure I should post something non-clock related.  One of my other hobbies is collecting firearms and target shooting.  It's a hobby at this point as I'm not shooting competitively yet, but I have wanted to build a target rifle and/or hunting rifle for some time.

I ran into a guy at my last range trip that was praising his Millett TRS scope.  I took a look at it and also liked it.  I also liked the price.  For $300 you get a 4-16x50mm scope with illuminated mil-dot reticle and other nice features.  I ordered one from Cheaper Than Dirt and it arrived very quickly.  I just ordered a mount for it from Wilson Combat.  I got the Accu-Riser scope mount for 30mm scopes.



My plan is to see if this will fit on my current AR15 carbine, and if so I should be able to play with it for a while.  If it won't fit (it's a large scope) I plan to get a new 20" upper and be able to switch out the carbine or rifle uppers at will.  Right now I'm leaning toward this one from Palmetto State Armory.

Eventually, I would like to get a new lower as well.  I either want to get the Magpul PRS stock or the CAA ARS stock.  Right now I'm leaning toward the CAA stock.

Monday, September 19, 2011

Lots done on the clock this weekend

I was able to get quite a bit done on the Whereabouts Clock this weekend.  I had previously posted that the brass face for the clock has been silk screened and it looks great.  I did put some clear lacquer on the front of it to protect it from tarnishing.  I had also been working on a frame to hold the face in the clock.  The original design of the grandfather clock had the face mounted to the clock internals, and it left a lot of empty space surrounding the face.  It looked really bad, according to my wife.  I purchased some 1" x 6" red oak stock and built a frame to fit inside the cabinet and hold the brass face.


The oak frame and brass face are glued to some 1/4" hardboard and glued inside the case.  In the original design of the grandfather clock, the front face was the only maintenance access to the internals.

With the oak frame and face in place, there's no way to access the clock internals from the front.  I built a door to cover the back plywood and have it closing with some 1/2" round magnets.  With this door on the back the servers, networking gear, Arduino, etc. will all be accessible.  Here's some pictures of the build so far: