Whereabouts Clock Update: New Data Source

 After years of utilizing the Find My iPhone legacy API to access phone information, Apple has shut down this service as it doesn't meet its current security standards.  I started looking for alternatives and went down the road of coding an approach where the phone would run Python code to send the location data to a cloud-based receiver built in AWS Lambda.  However, this approach did not work because there is no current way to have the iPhone run this code automatically in the background without user intervention.  So I had to continue my search.

I was about to give up entirely and resolve to write my own iPhone app (not trivial for me) when I came across Life360.  Life360 is a location-tracking app for families.  I found that there were already Python libraries available for the Life360 API.  I decided to use this one: https://github.com/harperreed/life360-python

With this Python library and a Life360 account for my family, it was rather trivial to update my location-fetching code to utilize this new library.  You can see my updated code in the Gitlab repository.

https://gitlab.com/tamuct01/whereabouts


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

V-22 Osprey Project - Flight Control

V-22 Osprey Project - Design Changes for v3

V-22 Osprey Project - Tuning and Setup