Replaced Arduino Ethernet Shield with Wifi Shield

We bought a new home a few months ago, and I'm finally getting around to some updates on the Whereabouts Clock.  I decided that hosting an 802.11b WEP secured Wifi network just to host the clock was a bit silly.

Prior to the move, I was using the Arduino Ethernet Shield attached to a 3Com OfficeConnect WL-524 to bridge the clock data to my Wifi network.  The only way to connect it as a bridge was to use WEP security, which by all accounts is now completely insecure.

I saw that Arduino now sells a shield with a built-in 802.11g that supports open, WEP, WPA networks.  I picked one up and after much frustration with upgrading the firmware on my Arduino (Uno rev. 1) and the shield itself, I finally got it online.  This reduces the number of components in the clock, and certainly the power consumption as well.

I also redid my homebuilt servo shield because the Wifi shield required the use of one of the pins I had been using for the clock servos.  Here's the schematic:

I used a perfboard that I cut to size and recut to fit around the wacky pin spacing on the Arduino between digital pins 7 and 8.  The jumper J6 is only needed if your Arduino is a rev 1 or is missing the IOREF pin.  Rev. 3 and I think rev. 2 have these extra pins and the jumper may be omitted.  Without the jumper, the Wifi shield will not initialize.  The LEDs 1-3 are green, yellow, and red, respectively, and are used to indicate a connection to Wifi/power, data processing/waiting, and error.  Each servo drives one hand of the clock.

Here are the finished photos:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

V-22 Osprey Project - Flight Control

V-22 Osprey Project - Design Changes for v3

V-22 Osprey Project - Tuning and Setup