New Hobby - 3D Printing

I've been wanting a 3D printer for quite a while, but we could never really justify the cost.  A couple of co-workers were raving about the Prusa i3 Mk2 (http://www.prusa3d.com/) and all the awards it had just won.  I had looked around at others as well, but the general consensus was this was the real deal.  The only thing I had to do now was convince my wife.

She asked the typical questions: "What are you going to do with it?" "It's so expensive!" "You'll just print little doo-dads."  "That's an expensive toy!" What guy's toy isn't expensive, huh?  It wasn't until she saw that it could print doll furniture that she was hooked as well.

My co-workers and I all ordered our printers within a month or so, but with a 2 month backlog at Prusa the wait was killer.  Finally, my kit arrived!  I spent the first evening into the wee hours assembling the main bed.  Wow!  This thing is like IKEA on steroids!  The next day I spent all morning assembling the rest and started the calibration.  All told, assembly was some 8-9 hours!

I've been steadily printing stuff since then: a couple doo-dads, Pokemon characters and stuff for my RC planes.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

V-22 Osprey Project - Design Changes for v3

V-22 Osprey Project - Flight Control

V-22 Osprey Project - Tuning and Setup